Applies to versions: 3.0, 3.1
Relay Control: Example - Providing Access Control Between Two Areas
This example explains how to install and setup the Relay Control device to provide access control between a work and non-work area.
- Plan your needed relay control actions.
In this example, the company has a dual door entry with the TimeIPS LCD display and swipe badge reader located between the doors. Our desired behavior is to unlock the second door after the employee clocks in.
- Choose your signaling device.
In this example, an electronic door latch will release for 8 seconds after an employee clocks in or out.
NOTE: Consider your business's needs and environmental conditions when selecting the best device for you. See the Relay Control Example Devices article for a list of example devices.
- Setup an Employee Triggered Relay Control.
Using the left pane main menu, click on Administration » Clocking » Relay Controls
- Click on the Manage Triggers button.
- Select/enter the options as indicated in the screenshot (above).
NOTE: Required fields are indicated by red bullets.
NOTE: Review the field level instructions on the screen.
- Click on the Create Trigger button to save the relay timer.
- Repeat steps B and C to create an additional trigger for the Clock Out.
- Install the signalling device and wiring to the TimeIPS Relay Control unit.
- Unscrew the two appropriate screws for the relay.
- If the device should be off when TimeIPS is restarted or shut down, use the Normally Open, NO, and Common, C, wire screw terminals.
- If the device should be on when TimeIPS is restarted or shut down, use the Common, C, and Normally Connected NC, wire screw terminals.
- Insert the device and power wires.
- Screw the leads securely.
In our example, the door latch should be on, or locked, when TimeIPS is restarted or shut down. We therefore connect the power supply lead to the common, C, wire screw terminal and the power supply to the normally connected, NC, wire screw terminal.
NOTE: If the device's power is disconnected or turned off, the device will revert to its fail safe or fail secure mode as manufactured.
The Employee Triggered Relay Control rules we set in step 3 will reverse the normally connected door latch circuit to open, or off, for 8 seconds when an employee clocks in or out.